Commuters living on the outskirts of Berlin face a summer of disruption to S-Bahn services starting this month, due to an extensive planned maintenance and renewal program.
According to Deutsche Bahn, the “Sommerferien” period is the best time to carry out these works as passenger numbers are at their lowest, but even so, some delays and journey disruptions will be unavoidable, especially for those living on the outer reaches of the system.
Summer S-Bahn delays to watch in 2015
- S2 Line – Out of service from July 13th – 31st between Blankenfelde and Mahlow.
After that date, just the stretch between Lichtenrade and Blankenfelde will be closed until August 31st.
A replacement bus service has been set up for passengers; if possible, DB recommend taking a regional train, RE3 or RE7 instead.
- S41, S42 and S46 Lines – No service from July 17th to August 31st between Bundesplatz and Halensee.
The works will also extend to Beusselstraße at night during the last weekend in August. Deutsche bahn recommend using Ubahn lines U7 and U9, or bus lines M19, M29 or X10 to bypass the disruption.
- S1 Line – Closed between August 3rd to 31st between Frohnau and Birkenwerder.
There will be a replacement bus service.
- S8 Line – Closed between August 3rd – 31st between Mühlenbeck-Mönchmühle and Birkenwerde.
A replacement bus service will be provided.
- S5 Line -Out of service from July 20th – September 28th between Strausberg and Strausberg Nord.
A Replacement bus service will be provided.
So this time the problems are due a good reason!
More info here.